Residence Permits for Foreign Citizens in Bulgaria
– Long-term residence permits – up to one year.
– Permanent residence permits – for an indefinite period of time.
The most common grounds for issuance of long-term residence permits are:
– The Foreign citizen is a member of the management or supervisory bodies of a Bulgarian company.
– The Foreign citizen is a trade representative of a company registered with the Bulgarian Chamber of Commerce and Industry.
– The Foreign citizen has been issued a work permit by the Bulgarian Employment Agency.
– The Foreign citizen conducts business activities in Bulgaria, provided that the Foreign citizen has employed at least 10 Bulgarian nationals, etc.
– In order to apply for a residence permit the Foreign citizen should initially obtain a long-stay visa.
The common documents required for issuance of a long-term residence permit are as:
– Valid international passport of the applicant;
– Evidence that the applicant has been provided with a place to live during his/her stay in Bulgaria (e.g. rental contracts);
– Application form;
– Evidence of payment of the relevant state fees.
– Evidence that the applicant has sufficient financial means to meet the costs of his/her stay in Bulgaria.
– The application for obtaining a long-term residence permit must be filed before the Migration Directorate not later than 7 days prior to the expiration of the term of the long-stay visa.
Foreign citizen s who have obtained a long term residence permit have all the rights and obligations granted to or imposed on the Bulgarian citizens.
Residence certificates in Bulgaria for European citizents
– Long-term residence certificates – up to five years.
– Permanent residence certificates – for an indefinite period of time.
The most common grounds for issuance of long-term residence certificates are:- The European citizen is employed or self employed in the Republic of Bulgaria.
– The European citizen has medical insurance and enough financial resources to cover the expenses for his/her residence.
– The European citizen has enrolled in a school/college/university in Bulgaria for study, including professional training, and has medical insurance and enough financial resources to cover his/her expenses, etc.
– In order to apply for a residence certificate the European citizen should submit an application to the Migration Directorate within three months after his/her first entry in the Republic of Bulgaria.
The common documents which should be enclosed to the application are:
– A valid identity card or a passport of the applicant.
– Documents evidencing the existence of the ground on which the European citizen applies for his/her residence certificate.
– Valid medical insurance, documents proving the current education, etc.);
-Payment of the relevant state fee
– Evidence that the applicant has sufficient financial means to meet the costs of his/her stay in Bulgaria